What we do
And what we don't...
- We offer guided tours to South Africa, Swaziland, Namibia, Botswana and Zambia. Some of these are fully guided by a private guide, some of these make use of private road transfers or air transfers to get to and from destinations. Once at the destinations you will enjoy activities with local guides. In any case, you don't have to drive or cook for yourselves anywhere. In fact, on any of our guided tours you don't have to do anything except enjoy yourselves.
- We offer self-drive tours to South Africa, Swaziland and Namibia. You drive yourself around in a rental car, and at destinations may either cater for yourself and do game drives in your rental car, or enjoy fully catered options and guided activities from your accommodation.
- For our self-drive tours in South Africa you'll receive your customised travel guide, a GPS navigation device and a mobile phone with South African SIM card. In Namibia you'll get the travel guide and GPS, but no mobile phone. There is limited cellphone reception in the desert anyway, so you won't miss it ;-)
- We offer 'add-ons' to any of our example tours. These are tours of a few days to a week long, which can be added to any tour that we create for you. Please note that the add-ons cannot be booked as a standalone.
Please note, that despite our name, Tailor Made Safaris cannot help you with everything.
- As mentioned before, we do not create itineraries where you travel across South Africa in just a few weeks. We would always try and convince you that this is not the best way to experience Africa. If however that is what you’re looking for we would like to suggest that you go to a different tour operator. As a rule of thumb, we only put tours together that travel less than 2000 km in a three week period.
- Should you wish to combine two regions, this is only possible by means of an internal flight. In most cases won't let you drive between them.
- Due to the extensive preparations of our tours (writing and printing your full colour travel book, sending the GPS etc.), unfortunately it is impossible for us to accept last minute enquiries. A minimum of 8 weeks between your enquiry and your preferred departure date is required.
- We only offer self-drive tours of 2 weeks or more. This is also a result of our labour intensive service; it is not cost-effective for a tour less than 2 weeks to make a customised travel book and give you a GPS on loan. Our guided tours though can be of any duration.
- However, for guided tours that are shorter than 2 weeks we cannot give you a personal travel book.
- We only tailor make tours to destinations & accommodation establishments mentioned on our website. Yes, sometimes we can include a guesthouse or destination of your choice, but in general we do not put tours together to other regions/countries other than those currently offered on this website. To put tours together to completely new destination is not cost effective, as it takes a lot of time to research new destinations (the cost of which we will have to add to your invoice), and we don't get special discounted rates at these destinations. Ultimately it will make such a tour prohibitively expensive for you, hence we don't do them.